When I first started cooking vegan it was tofu and beans for days. I had seen seitan before on blogs but thought, whatever that looks like way too much work.
Eventually, we went to Toronto and ate a Doomies. Their seitan was so good I had to attempt it at home.
At this point, I started making various recipes with seitan. Stove top tastes best but was a lot of planning and waiting around. The oven was much easier but the texture wasn’t the same.
I made this recipe a few times and then sort of saved it for when it was requested. Then, I got an instant pot. It is a game changer. I didn’t think it would be that useful but I have used it for everything with rice and beans to curries, chillis, soup, sauces. Basically anything I used to have to stand over the stove for.
So without further ado, here in the video for basic beef seitan (in 2 minutes) or scroll down for the print directions.
1 cup vital wheat gluten
2 TBS nutritional yeast
1/2 cup miso broth cold (or veggie stock)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 TBS lemon juice
1/2 TBS vegan Worcestershire (or soy sauce)
1 TBS oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp white pepper
For Instant Pot
4 cups broth
4 cups water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Mix wet ingredients in a bowl.
3. combine and knead like bread dough until all dry is fully combined and starts to have a stringy texture when pulled apart.
4. add broth, water and soy sauce to instant pot. Set to saute for 5 minutes.
5. form seitan into log, wrap in cheesecloth tightly.
6. put in the instant pot, seal, set to pressure for 7 minutes. Turn on keep warm setting.
7. When it has been on keep warm setting for at least 35 minutes.
8. slice and pan fry
If using for Hogwarts vegan ‘steak and kidney’ pie reserve 2/3 cup of cooking broth. You can find that recipe here.